Monday, June 1, 2009

So Long Convenience!

Last week brought a border-line miserable heat spell for the Italians. I could not believe how hot it was! (I was actually lucky and missed the worst day while I was in Switzerland...but I caught up with it when I arrived back in Milan the next night!) I know it was "hotter" in Egypt, but this is a mix of heat and about the same amount of humidity as we have in NC. What made me notice it more was the fact that I no longer have the lifestyle where I go from the house (with air conditioning) to the car (with airconditioning) via a short walk through the garage. From the car, I go to the grocery store (with airconditioning) via a short walk across a parking lot. I was always able to control the amount of time I was out in the heat. Even when I would go for a bike ride or for a walk, I was always able to come back to the air conditioning and cool down. Now, however, no one has air conditioning ANYWHERE and there is no "escape" from the heat. I have just had to get used to the idea of being hot, sweaty, and not so cute all day long. (just to warn any potential visitors for the summer:) My daily routine looks somewhat different as well. Now, I walk from my apartment to the metro station and get in a metro where I am positive they have the heat turned on despite the fact we are smashed in like sardines, walk to language school, where they don't have air conditioning, arrive sweaty, sit sweaty for 4 hours trying to cram this language in my head, walk back to the metro, arrive at home completely grimy and with black feat, wash my feet and hands, give up on the rest, cook lunch, etc...The rest of the afternoon varies depending on the day but always involves either walking 2 miles to Esselunga (the grocery store) or riding my bike to the Greenwiches, or back to the metro to meet someone for a language exchange. In other words, the heat and I have had to learn to live with each other. 

With the heat spell and lack of rain came large amounts of dust as well. I normally have to vacuum everything every day just to keep it free from everything that flies through my windows, which are open always for much needed circulation. However, one afternoon, a huge tornado of dust flew in. I don't know if I caught a draft because of where my apartment is positioned or if this happened to everyone. This tornado of dust/grime covered EVERYTHING including the newly clean laundry I had just set out on the drying rack. There had to be a 1/4 inch spread of grime all over my counters and table and floor. It happened right in the middle of an insanely busy week. After I stayed up until 3:00 am cleaning that first night, it took me three evenings of cleaning and doing laundry before it was all back to normal. 

Because I don't have a dryer and I can't stand crunchy sheets and towels, I take the time to iron everything. It does take extra time, but it makes me feel better. :) But, after having to wash everything, the ironing definitely took 3 hours! (or 3 episodes of House, to be exact) This is the picture of all my queen size bedding (including duvet and shams), hand towels, regular towels, jeans, and Thai fisherman pants that I love. Behold 3 hours of labor:

But, when it all comes down to it...I guess there is more to life than convenience. 

2 comments:

Maƫl said...

Sorry, but I can't help but chuckle and think: wait 'till August ... then you will really know what heat is.

You do get used to it ... some. I used to put my pillowcase in the freezer and pull it out just before going to sleep. It actually feels pretty good.

Unknown said...

Oh, my word, Amber. I can only imagine. :( Kostya tells me stories of how he spent hours a day ironing the wash (it was HIS job). Poor guy. I wish I was there to help you! M.