Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Victory of Expression!

Yesterday and today were two very good days for me. After finishing the week strong in language school (except for yet another cough I have picked up...I have never coughed so much in my life. I think it is just from living in a big city. If anyone wants to mail me more respiratory cleanse you are more than welcome!) I came home and made banana pudding Italian-style and managed to sleep for about 30 minutes. (my once-upon-a-time luxury of being able to take a much needed hour nap every day after language school disappeared long ago...) Then, my friend, Mauro, (marco's, mario's, mauro's, oh my!) picked me up and we went to Michael's house for a grigliata, which is the Italian's way of having a cook-out. There were probably 30 people there, most of whom I had already met and had been getting to know at various get-togethers. We enjoyed tons of yummy meat and grilled veggies as we chiacchieravo (were chatting) until the wee hours. I SO enjoyed being able talk more with people! Each time I see everyone, I am able to talk a little more and, most importantly, get to know them even more. Everyone has been so patient and unbelievably encouraging and welcoming as I have been working up a sweat trying to learn this language and culture. It is so interesting to finally be able to "get to know" someone and understand their thoughts and personality when I have technically known and spent much time with them in the past 2.5 months. 

Today, I was able to lay around in bed until about 10:00 and enjoy doing nothing besides sweating. I then got up and got some cleaning done. Afterwards, I met an American friend for lunch. This girl is actually a sister of a friend of a friend. Go figure! My friend Brittany, from Southeastern, sent me a message last week saying the sister of one of her best friends is now in Milan for a year to be a nanny for a family who is with the American Consulate here. She just moved here a few weeks ago. She put us in touch and, come to find out, this girl not only lives in the same part of this huge city as me, she also lives right off the same street! Absolutely incredible. We met for lunch today and had a great time together. We are actually going to Lago di Maggiore together tomorrow for a little day-trip. 

After we parted, I stopped by my bakery to buy some bread. When I walked in, it was very "tranquile" (quiet) and everyone came out from their various posts to say hi. We started talking about the past week and what everyone was doing this weekend. I told them about my upcoming trip and they were sure to tell me of all sorts of things I need to do while I am there. I LOVE being able to really talk with them. 

But here's the big part...

I have been so frustrated by the fact that I can't really express everything that I want to express...especially when I really want to thank someone or tell them what a blessing they have been. Not sure why, but apparently I felt confident enough in the language today to try to thank them for how wonderful they have been. It came out something like this: 

I love this beautiful bakery and everyone here is so kind to me. I remember I came here my second day in Milan and could BARELY even say which type of bread I wanted. I was still turning the coins over looking at how much they are and hoping I was giving the right amount. But, everyone here has been so kind and patient with me and it made me so happy. Now, I am happy to be able to talk more with ya'll (yep, they have that word in Italian!) and to be able to know you better. 

Totally not in so many words, but that was the point. Regardless, they were beaming...and I'm sure let me preposition flops go for the time being!

Then, I explained to them that there is an American girl who is the sister of a friend of a friend and she just moved here. I said I told her that the people here are very nice and patient and that she can feel at home here. They all agreed that they would help her and said for me to tell her to come whenever. (I also told them to make a marocchino for her sometime. She'll be all set!:) 

LOVE being able to connect with people. I am at the point where big groups don't scare me like they did and I don't feel completely awkward. I feel confident walking down the street and in most stores. (STILL hate the supermarket though...) But what is most important to me is the ability to get to know people better. 

I very much still have good days and bad days with the language but it is these types of "victories" that keep me going and show me that when I am weak, He is strong. 

1 comment:

Samantha said...

FANTASTIC! Keep it up, girl! I really struggled with the same thing (and continue to after 3 years of study and 5 months of living there), but moments like this make it easier to continue.

And, as always, you're in my prayers. :)