Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Curiosity of "Amore"

I have a new teacher in the next level of language school. Let's just say she is much more "rough around the edges" than sweet Giovanna or Lorenza. She enjoys debating and asserting her ideas every way she can. She respects students who stand up to her though she likes to put them down. To be honest, I have had  a hard time with her because I see her being overly sarcastic, rude and down-right mean to many of the other students in my class...especially the asian ones who are really struggling. She is not as mean to me because I will stand up to her and the language comes easier for me than it does when you are making the leap from Chinese to Italian. Nonetheless, I usually come out of class either wanting to cry or needing to confess my "indignation!" 

I heard she has had a rough life and has seen many ugly and depressing things. I try to keep this in mind and to respond in a christ-like way to her.

Today, she brought up the topic of love. I don't exactly remember the context, but she was explaining how being "too close" to someone kills love. For example, living with someone and seeing them every day makes you sick of them and removes the sense of "curiosity", which is the fuoco (fire) of love. So, in her world, marriage would be out of the picture but so would living with someone. I guess the best thing to do is to have a series of one-night stands. What a depressing life!

I spoke up (not sure where I got the courage to tackle this type of issue in Italian with her!) and said that I don't believe curiosity is the only element of love. I understand curiosity's connection with passion but I don't believe curiosity is all there is to passion either! 

She basically said that if you are always together and grow tired of each other (and no longer have that curiosity) then your "affection" is just the same as what you have for a brother or sister. 

Again, I said I don't believe that love consists of either curiosity (lust/eros) or philos. I believe there is agape love that is deeper than both those loves. It comes from having a completely different view of love. It comes from a commitment and a self-less life. Only then can you experience true love. 

At that point my language skills died. :)

And she looked me in the eye and said she has had much experience and knows for a fact that...something like "the best you can have is curiosity." In other words, she does not believe a love as deep as agape love could ever exist. Therefore, it is best to just make the best of this miserable existence through physical pleasure. At least that is "something." 

Sad. 


2 comments:

C.L. said...

oh Amber! I TOTALLY know what yo'ure talking about! I had instances like that, too. And it's frustrating because the teacher will talk about stuff like that (I had one talk about love very similarly) and then you can't refute them back the way you wish you could and THEN the rest of the class doesn't even understand what she's saying so you have no help at all! It's so frustrating. You're not alone. Keep it up, I know God will continue to use you and is so much already!

Megan Penner said...

That is so sad. :( What an existence. :(