Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Day in Torino

Torino is a smaller city about 1.5 hours away from Milan. A friend of mine, Frederica, lives there with her family when she is not attending the University here in Milan. She invited me to go visit her for a day so I took a train early this morning to have a beautiful day in Tornino! 

Little known fact about Torino: they have the largest Egyptian museum outside of Cairo! They even have more Egyptian artifacts than the British Museum! I was obviously in heaven seeing things similar to what I saw in Egypt. (and, I will not lie...it made me want to go back to visit Egypt even more!) 

It is so hard to imagine that someone made this 3,000 years ago!

A very large sarcafagus.

If the color is this bright now, can you imagine what it was like back then?

Me and Frederica. 





Story written with pictures on papyrus. Wish I could read it. Sfortunatamente, Italian is about all I can handle right now! 
The layers of sarcaphagus' (sarcaphagi?) for this mummy!
Yes, you are looking at hair on the mummy! Amazing. It is also amazing how small the bodies are. The adult males look like 10 year old boys. 

Two things about this video: 1) David, our mutual American friend who introduced me and Frederica, telling about part of the mummification process. 2) There is an adorable little Italian boy at the end staring at the body with a shocked look on his face while his mom is pointing out the fact that this one has hair! 


Again, beautifully preserved colors. 

And I even found some amber!

Outside the window of the Egyptian Museum overlooking a famous piazza in Torino. 



At a castle in Torino. 

GORGEOUS villas! 


A knight in shining armor. 


Il Castello





This was a type of go-cart that you peddle yourself. 




This is a University for architecture. This building ALMOST made me want to consider life as an architect! 

...and then I remembered my first love: philosophy. And I am so happy to be in a place that appreciates it as much as I do. 


1 comment:

Amy Jones said...

Good thing you didn't do architecture. No one has that kind of budget anymore. ;)

Thanks for sharing!
Keep it coming.