Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Another Language Blooper

Man, two back-to-back! I better not be starting a trend here...

One day in language school we were supposed to talk about what we had done that previous weekend. We do this frequently because it is interesting to hear about what everyone did and it also is pull-ups for your usage of passatto progressivo e imperfetto. (as well as suicidal reflexives) 

What I meant to say was that I went to the market, which is "mercado"

BUT what slipped out of my mouth early in the morning was:

I went to the "marketa." (which is an old word for a place where there are prostitutes.) 

There was a gasp from my teacher... and then a belly-laugh. Hate that combination. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm just glad they can all laugh about it and not leave you in a stunned, uncomfortable silence! :) You are a funny girl, Amber!! Love you! Megan