Thursday, June 4, 2009

Three's a Charm

FYI - when you do not know the verb for an action, "fare" is not your wild card. Fare means to make or do. They use it all the time just like we do in english. When you do not know the verb or the noun, you can always say "fare questo", which means "to do/make this." Works most of the time. 

However, "Fare" is like a box of chocolates. You never know exactly what you are going to get...or in my case "say."

We had just watched an excerpt of an old film in language school. In the beginning, the lady was watering her garden and found a baby in the cabbages. My teacher asked a question and what I wanted to say was, "because she waters the cabbages."

Had NO idea how to say "watering" in Italian but I did know the word for cabbage.

So, pulled out handy-dandy "fare." Instead of saying watering in the phrase I said, "fa l'acqua." 

And my teacher looked over the rim of her glasses and said (in English...which I didn't know she spoke) "Amber, the lady did not p*ss on the cabbages."

So, so far this week, I have exchanged tongues with Giovanni, hung out at a place where there are prostitutes, and said a sweet, old lady p*ssed on some cabbages. I think I am to horrified to open my mouth now! Too bad that's not an option... 


2 comments:

Derek and Amanda said...

Oh my dear Amber! What a humbling experience!! haha!! :) Love you!! I like hearing your funny language stories!! :)~Amanda~

Unknown said...

It's ok. I do that all the time, and the worst part is i already know English and still do it. :)