Monday, June 8, 2009

Mixing Two Passions

I am working on a photo essay for intercambio. What is a photo essay? I am probably the wrong person to ask since I really have no idea. But, in the spirit of true modern art, that really doesn't matter. The question is: what does the concept of a photo essay mean to me, no? The purpose of this project is to mix my two passions: philosophy and photography to create an interesting collage that tells a story. I don't want to reveal what this one is about just yet since it is not yet finished. But, I did want to display some pictures I took today with my friend, Mario. 

If you remember, Mario is the one I called "Marco" for the longest time because I could not keep my Marco's and Mario's straight. Apparently I did not scare him too much and he is now a great friend - and an excellent model!! 

Okay, please tell me if the emotion I have written at the top of the photo comes across. I need your help!!

Emozione: pensoso, contemplativo. 
(pensive, contemplative) 

Emozione: "non voglio farlo..."
(Dread)

Or this one... This expresses a little bit more sadness. 
I like how he looks like he is praying. Less "dread" and more broken hearted. 

Emozione: speranza, felicitá, anticipazione
(hope, happiness, anticipation) 

Emozione: coraggio
(courage)

We took these photos by the metro and bus stop in front of my apartment. Mario was a trooper being a model while tons of people where walking by! After our hard work, we stopped by Gelateria Marghera for some yummy gelato. I got lots of italian practice in and definitely increased my vocabulary. This was my first photoshoot all in Italian! He was so patient as I was not only thinking about what I wanted, but was also thinking how to explain what I wanted! 

2 comments:

Derek and Amanda said...

I really like those pictures!! I cannot wait to come visit you!! Love you!! ~Amanda~

Megan Penner said...

Beautiful photos, Amber! I love them all! I sort of feel like the first one is more of a "knowing" look because of that little smile in the corner of his mouth. :) Megan