Thursday, January 1, 2009

La Vita e' Bella!

Since my life is about to shift to "all things Italiana," watching Life is Beautiful is an obvious prerequisite. (Grazie, Mael, for letting me borrow it!) I can honestly say with a clean conscience that this movie is my new numero UNO!! I absolutely loved it. I have never seen a movie that made me laugh and cry quite like that. My absolute favorite scene was when Guido hijacked the loudspeaker with his son and proclaimed, "Buon Giorno, Principessa!" I had a complete "girly" moment come over me as I squeeled and then started crying! I generally do not do this in movies. (many of you can testify to my stoic movie-watching tendencies) Actually, I have teared up in a few movies in the last year or two, but have never actually "cried" before.

From an artistic standpoint, great screenplay, WONDERFUL acting...and, of course, the scenery was superb! (and I totally fell in love with Joshua! Little boys are cute, but little boys speaking Italian are adorable!)

From a philosophical standpoint, I found the movie to be interesting. The story says that even though the world is a terrible place, the best thing to do it to be optimistic. Nothing Guido did was "real." The key "dropping from heaven" was just good timing and a cute idea. He was always just barely escaping trouble. His creativity in the concentration camp allowed his son to believe he was participating in a fun game with a great prize at the end. Even when Guido was being taken away to be shot, he continued to pretend this was a game for the sake of his son. His "sacrifice" is truly touching, but is sadly the only thing the world has to offer. All "positive outlooks" must first start with pessimism: or admitting that the world is a horrible place followed by the volitional choice to either ignore the horror or "create your own reality." The best answer "one without hope" can give is to just make the best of what we have. Nothing is based in reality; everything is simply a game created in the mind. For those with hope, there is so much more to life. Life has a purpose and a meaning; it is not just something to get through before we die and discintegrate. While it is important to be creative, joyful, imaginative, and optimistic, what makes life beautiful is not the reality we create, but the reality that exists through Christ.

3 comments:

Maƫl said...

Di niente!

Unknown said...

Jonathan wanted me to send his recommendation:

"Cinema Paradiso"

I haven't seen it, but it sounds pretty Italian to me.

Leah F said...

Nathan and I watched Life is Beautiful several years ago (dubbed, of course:-)--and it is one of our favorites as well. What an amazing movie!