Thursday, October 2, 2008

Wide-Angle Lens Love!

I saved and saved and finally purchased my much-coveted 10-22mm wide-angle lens! I was looking at upgrading my camera and saw an available 40D on Craig's List for a decent price. I emailed the seller inquiring about the camera. I discovered he was an Indian guy so I felt much more comfortable doing some hard-bargaining with him than a sweet old southern grandmother! When he wrote back about the camera, he also mentioned he was planning to sell his 10-22 mm canon lens. 10-22 mm??? I have lusted over that exact lens for months as my number one choice for a wide angle lens! It is back back ordered on B&H photo and I had a hard time tracking another one down for a half-way decent price!! We haggled back and forth about the lens for several days. New, the lens would cost over 700.00. He was willing to sell it for 650.00.

"Way too much," I told him. "I'll give you 600.00 for it but no more."

This was a low-ball offer but I've had quite a bit of experience haggling with street markets in Egypt, Indonesia and Thailand. Plus, I only budgeted 600.00 for myself to upgrade. He sent me an email out of desperation one night telling me 600.00 was fine. A few minutes later, he emailed me again saying someone was coming to look at the lens on tuesday for 625.00. I could have it if I wanted it but I would have to pay at least 625.00. Now, when you are in the 600.00 range, and extra 25.00 is nothing. However, the challenge is huge!!

"Okay," I told him. "Just let me know if it falls through and we'll talk." I totally let it go - probably much to his dismay. He emailed me back tuesday afternoon saying the guy actually wanted to do a trade-in with him and he wasn't interested. I gave him my cell phone number and told him to call me to work it out. He called immediately and, with his thick Indian accent said, "ok, thE leNs is aVaiLabLe. Do yoU waNT To meeT soMe Time anD See iT?"

"Sure," I said. "But, my final offer is still 600.00...just so you know."

"Oh, oh, buT yoU neeD To sEE The leNs. ONce yoU See iT, yoU wIll REaLLy waNT To giVe mE 625.00 foR iT."

I chuckled and bluntly replied, "I'm sure the lens is beautiful. And I'm sure, when I see it, I will really want to give you 600.00 for it." (The biggest thing Krista taught me is to roll your eyes at the sheer BS and totally call them on it! Thanks, girl!!)

We met yesterday afternoon after I was already ticked off by how far away his suggested meeting place was. There is NO way I am going to give him extra money for how far away this is! We finally met and I tried out the lens. Beautiful, I thought. Really clean. Awesome lens!

"Okay, I'll buy it for 600.00 but no more because I had to drive a long way down here."

"BuT, I'm SuRe I cAn fInD SoMe oNe To Buy iT foR 625.00. IT is a GooD pRice!"

My rationality and emotions convened for another meeting. I don't want to cheat the guy. And it is a good price. I really want the lens. But, I'm too stubborn to give in just because I want it. Besides, I have to prove him wrong that once I see it, I will want to pay 625.00 for it. I CAN'T let him actually be right about that! I'm sure God will provide another opportunity later. But, holy cow, Amber, its 25 bucks!! And you already drove all the way down here. Ah, the jerk. Got me all the way down here and looked so innocent about it because he knew I wouldn't turn it down then! Stop assigning motives, Amber!!

"610.00," I said.

"oKay, oKay, sIncE I liKe yoU and I ThiNk yoU aRe a gooD phoTogRapheR,"

He better not think his flattery is getting ANYWHERE.

"LeTs SaY wE BoTh coMpRoMise and SettLe foR 615.00.

At this point, my rationality was so annoyed that it threw in the towel and let my emotions win. I have spent too much time and mental engergy on this on my precious day off work. Just skip eating out this week and buy it! With a I-Can't-Believe-I-Am-Giving-In sigh, I said, "okay, okay. 615.00 it is." We ended the saga by talking about India and some good, authentic restaurants in the area.

I immediately called Amanda and left a message briefly telling her about the experience whil imitating the guy's accent. (adds affect:) That's the story of how the much-lusted 10-22 mm lens came to be mine! I happened to be at the Penner's house that night and of course had to try it out on them! Here are a few of the shots:











I have wanted to get this shot since they got their new piano. The whole family is so musical and it was the first image that popped into my mind when I saw it. Bella wasn't even born at the time! I think I want to try it again though and open the cover so you can see the keys.




Coming Soon: the sequel to "Of Valient Nights and Fair Maidens"!!!!

3 comments:

Megan Penner said...

Oh , my GOODNESS!!! I love the photos!!! If you do another one of Bella with the keys open, it might have to be the announcement photo. That sounds wonderful! You are BRILLIANT, Amber!

C.L. said...

oh I can't wait for the sequel! Beautiful pictures, I especially love the one of Bella on thepiano and the one of Camden with his hair all tussled.

Krista said...

"Mabruk!!!" (congratulations) on the new lens!! I LOVE the newborn pictures you've taken. That's it, you HAVE to come by Alex on your way to Italy!! (Don't you want the challenge and excitement of photographing twins?!) And the spinach-artichoke dip. . .I was just thinking of that the other day - I'm going to use this recipe and make it - yum!