Monday, October 13, 2008

T-Minus 5 Days!!

In 5 more days, I will be officially unemployed!! Talk about a dream come true! Friday, October 17th will mark the day when the new phase of my life begins: Operation Prepare for Italy!! This day has been circled in my calendar and longed for for months!

Don't get me wrong, despite the 8-5 m-f desk bondage, I have been so blessed by the job. Here are the top 15 things I am going to miss:

1. Hearing about my boss' "former life," which includes mafia affiliation, life in Oklahoma as the grandson of the county judge, getting drunk on Mead in Ireland, meeting many stupid people in his life (most of whom he's met recently:), hearing his imitating voices, giving him a hard time about the piles on his desk and the additives and preservatives he puts in his water, talking about all his adventures all over the world, hearing about the shaman/chiropractor he encountered in the Philippines, eating Falafel, etc.

2. Working with Jerry Lassetter. He's the most awesome co-worker ever!! I learned a lot about Job working with him too! Don't bring up the tree in the gravel parking lot...it's still a sensitive subject. :)

3. Making faces at Carrie from across the hall.

4. Getting voicemails from Mrs. Judy in the Accounting Office saying, "Amber, try the P.O. form again."

5. Stopping in to give my old Roomie a hug in the Financial Development office when I have to take things to Stealey.

6. Being able to proudly pull into the Faculty Parking lot and waiving to all the walking students!

7. Having people ask me what exotic meal I brought for lunch today.

Thinking, thinking...

8. Sending out emails to all DMin students saying "everyone contact a certain individual in a certain office immediately." (Dr. Ewart made me delete the part about 2:00 am and his personal cell phone!)

9. Joseph Phan and the Trinity as an example of a small-group.

10. The way Dr. Ewart (my boss) chokes when he places "Dr." in front of some of the student's names!

12. Bill Whisnant...sweatest man ever!

13. My boss being protective and supportive.

14. Dr. Reid's smiles and encouragement.

15. Hanging out, laughing with, talking to, and being picked on by the professors.

Now on to new and different adventures! Here is my POA for the next few months:

October 17-31: Finish papers for independent study and theology, thesis prospectus.
November 4-8: IMB Conference
November 10-14: Start learning Italian!!
November 15-23: LONDON!
November 24-30: Travel for Thanksgiving, study Italian
December 1-January 25: Italian, time with family/friends, get visa, and pack
January 26-March 26: Training

So, my few months off aren't really few months off. I'm considering it to be simply making it possible for me to get everything done.

Time is flying! Prayers are coveted!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I meant to mention it last week when you talked about going to Phily to get your Visa. There is a what seems to be a great sushi restaurant in Phily called Morimoto's. It's one by one of the Iron Chefs from Food Network. Looks like it would be really good. You should check it out.

Megan Penner said...

AND, don't forget "spending time at the Penners house" and "learning an Italian Aria before I go to Italy"!

Amber Bowen said...

Of course! How could I forget that?? :)