Saturday, May 23, 2009

To Lago di Como and Back

I hitched a ride to Lake Como today, which is the third largest lake in Italy and one of the deepest in Europe. The bottom is 656 ft. below sea level. The lake is known for the beautiful villas which have existed since Pliny the Younger. (around 100 AD) By car, it takes less than 3o minutes to get there. We rode the scooter up which allowed for great pictures and lots of sunshine on the way. 


These mountains are slightly more rounded on the top. They become much more rocky a little farther up and eventually turn into breathtaking alps as you keep traveling. I have completely fallen in love with Northern Italy because of them. The point-and-shoot did a horrible job of capturing the gorgeousness before my eyes. There was a bit of haze out today, which made it even worse for photos. 

Many famous people, such as George Clooney, have Villas in Como. His is apparently somewhere this-side of the lake.  

AH, the haze really makes it impossible to see how beautiful it was. 

This is a ragazzo taking insanely staged and cheezy pictures of his ragazza. I was told his is a very "southern Italy" thing to do. :)

This was the slightly scary, model-wanna-be girl after her posed picture was taken. 



SO CUTE! I love how they dress their kids too. See the adidas shoes? Check out the mom: high heeled tennis shoes. Very popular. Don't ask me why. 

Bellagio, a small town on the part of the lake where it splits into a wishbone shape. 



Found a bunch of Amber.



Gelato.
Restaurants getting ready for dinner, which starts in about 5 hours. 

Nice park by the lake. Notice the cute family playing with their kid and the naked couple (the guy was wearing a speedo and the girl a bikini) tanning in the grass. I cannot tell you how many Italian men I see laying out on a towel wearing a speedo in the parks. It is absolutely disgusting. I thankfully didn't get the other couple beside the naked couple who was in desperate need of a hotel room. DESPERATE. It was worse the couples on the metro. 

Gorgeous, nonetheless.



I really like these trees. I had never seen them before moving here. They are really short but very thick and shady. 

Bellagio. 



Batman and Robin. 



After a long but fun day...

On the way back to Milan. 



Back in Milan!! This is apparently a cemetery for a bunch of very famous Italian writers and composers. I need to check it out soon.   


This is my city!!

Il Castello (castle) in Milan. I haven't been here yet but am hoping to next weekend. It is right beside my language school but I have been so preoccupied with "living" that I haven't actually gone. 

LOVE Milan. I feel so blessed to live here. 
Domani: off to Zermatt, Switzerland to meet up with David and Joel for a couple of days. CAN'T WAIT! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

GORGEOUS!!! These pictures are amazing!! And I know those beautiful mountains. Thank you, Amber! Megan

Amy Jones said...

You and your side trips! Love Lake Como. Might have to make the trip . . . Found 99cent flight to Milan the other day. We need to compare calenders.