Sunday, April 12, 2009

Experimenting con Pesce

I went to Esselunga, an Italian "supermarket," today to restock my fridge after being in Germany for a week. I had some pretty big culture shock when I walked in to an "American normal" sized grocery store that was all in Italian. Not only that, it was filled with Italians who were preparing for their big Easter meals. Probably not the best time to be going for the first time. It takes me longer to do things. Reading packages and labels is obviously slower and trying to figure out what things are takes even longer! I purposed in my heart before I came that I would not eat like an American in Italy. I think part of embracing the culture is also eating what they eat. It is healthier to eat the local food anyway. The only downside is the time and brain juice it takes to figure everything out. 

After I got back, I decided to try a recipe I made up standing in an over-crowded Esselunga. 

This is Louis. Once I saw him, I knew he was the one. 


First, I chopped up some leeks, or "porro," as I learned. 
I have always wanted a Dutch Oven and found one at Carrefour for fairly cheap. I have already made several things in it and I absolutely love it. It works on the stove or the oven and makes everything very flavorful and tender. 

Louis thankfully came without his insides so I just rinsed him off...
...and stuffed him with a "lemone" and what I am pretty sure was a bayleaf. (the thrill of buying groceries in another language!) 

I added some pomodori (tomatoes) e capperi (capers), olive oil, some cooking white wine, and completed the burial by placing thinly sliced lemons on top. 
Last, but not least, I added some fresh herbs. This is basillico (basil), origano (oregano), rosmarino (rosemary), and the mystery bayleaf. 
I honestly don't remember how long I cooked him or even what temperature it was. (my oven is not Fahrenheit anyway) But I checked on him a few times and pulled him out when his skin was easily removed from the meat. Be careful not to overcook though. 
And of course I got some yummy fresh pasta to go with him.
I thought I would include this just because I hope there is someone else in the world beside me who did not know how to eat a whole fish like this. I was told to lift back the skin and flake the fish away from the bone. It worked out for me. I still had a few bones in the meat but my flaking skills will hopefully improve with time. 
I hope you are able to find your own Louis and enjoy the process as well as the final product as much as I did! 

3 comments:

Derek and Amanda said...

haha!! You would eat that!! :) Miss you!!

Megan Penner said...

Um, YUM!! This is amazing! You may be the most resourceful person I know. :)

Amy Jones said...

Brava!