Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Ham n' Eggs Italian style!

In my first Italian cooking lesson, Allyson taught me how to make Carbonara, which she calls "breakfast pasta." They don't eat it for breakfast, but it makes us think of breakfast food. I made it tonight for dinner and it was so yummy!! Here's the recipe:

Saute pancetta with a small onion. Pancetta is kind of like bacon, but thicker and you can buy it cubed here. I think it is slightly pricey in the states but it is cheap here. You only need a little though.  


Chef Allyson said to cook it until it was somewhat crispy on the edges but still chewy. 


Everyone must have on of these pots with the strainer. I love it. 


Immediately after the pasta has finished cooking (al dente), pour 1 beaten egg per person with two extra into the freshly drained, hot pasta and start to stir. Add pancetta and continue to stir. 



Panna tastes like whipped cream to me. You can add as much as you want. It makes it creamy. I guess I added maybe a quarter cup. 




And there you have it! (PS, if you are coveting my cool place mats, I got them at IKEA for 1 euro a piece!)

Ok, this is the best stuff ever. I had it when I visited in November and Allyson was so sweet to remember I loved it and had it in my fridge when I got here. It is orange juice made from these blood-red oranges. It is so amazing. I have had this tosse thing (cough) that won't go away and just haven't felt like eating much since I've been here. I think it is the mixture of having a cough and adjusting to a new culture. It took a couple days for me to get used to the water here and my stomach was in the perpetual state of feeling "odd." So, this juice has been my lifeline! 





6 comments:

Jason said...

This stuff is awesome... Mael made it one night. How's Milan?

Amy Jones said...

So cool! I'll have to try it.

Maƫl said...

I never fixed you pasta alla carbonara?

Megan Penner said...

Oh, my goodness, oh my goodness!! This is my FAVORITE thing Italians eat! It is what I wanted to make you that one dinner but we got sick. :( But, I didn't know about the creamy stuff. Thank you for posting it!!! YUM!! I miss you, girl!

Unknown said...

So a couple of questions.
1)Do you use any oil when sauteeing the onions and pancetta?
2)As far as the eggs go, it's 1 egg per person, plus 2 extra eggs? Just wanted to make sure I had that right. That juiice sounds amazing! I've started buying blood orange myself as i've seen them in the store. They jsut got a nice sweet flavor. Not to mention that they just look really cool!

Unknown said...

I made this tonight with the Panna Patrick bought! It was SO YUMMY!!! Megan