Monday, August 4, 2008

They're Married!

Well, my roommate is officially married and off honeymooning in Jamaica! The wedding was absolutely beautiful and I was so blessed to be a part of it! I don't have pictures because they wouldn't let me bring my camera! (I understand being forbidden from taking pictures while I'm on stage...but not having it for the reception??!!) I actually really appreciated their ban on my camera since it freed me to have fun without worrying about missing great shots! (I knew Casey was getting them all much better than I could anyway!!)

Since the wedding preparation started, I KNEW I would be a basket-case when the day finally arrived! During the rehearsal, I started to tear up! After the dinner(which was a great cowboy theme with gingham table cloths, lanterns, sunflowers, and BBQ!), Derek, Amanda and I had one last "talk" on the steps of Binkley and even more tears welled up in my eyes. I knew they would come quite liberally at the ceremony and I was just praying I wouldn't fall off the stage!

Laying in my bed that night, memory after memory kept entering into my mind as I reflected on the last 9 years I have known Amanda and the last 3 1/2 years I have know "Derek and Amanda." I remember the first Sunday our family came to Trinity and I saw her sitting with her family in a cute yellow sundress! I remember the first time I spent the night at her house. In fact, after we asked our parents if we could spend the night, my mom's first response was, "But, Amber, you don't have a toothbrush!" With a smile creeping out of the side of his mouth, Mr. Goetze said, "That's okay! We have a guest toothbrush that all our guests use when they stay with us!"

I met Derek that semester in my History of Ideas class. When I first met him, he and Amanda had JUST started dating. I knew she was dating someone, but I did not realize it was him. We sat together in class and I remember thinking, “Who is this guy who keeps cutting up! He is pretty funny but clearly doesn’t take life too seriously!” The first time I saw them together in the hallway, I said, “YOU’RE dating Amanda Goetze??” (They never let me forget thatJ)

Shortly thereafter, I moved in with Amanda and we became roommates! The first day I moved in, we all loaded up in her Mustang and hit the town! Throughout the next 3 ½ years, we made many trips in that car to Krispy Kreme at midnight (being big bad Southeastern students!), had many late night talks, edited quite a few papers together, attended many classes, cooked many dinners, watched many movies, studied in the library for MANY hours, and laughed more than I can remember! Derek is the ONLY person who could get away with accusing Plotinus of “flushing metaphysics down the cosmic toilet” in a paper read to the entire class! Some of my favorite times were when the three of us would “do rounds” together while Derek was working with Campus Security. We would go through all the buildings (cracking jokes all the way!) making sure they were locked and secure. We had our favorite banister to slide down and always took note of the mustard choir robes at the bottom of Binkley that would be Amanda’s bridesmaid’s dresses one day!

D & A have been the truest of friends! They have literally laughed and cried with me! They always knew exactly when I needed to “talk,” when I needed to “laugh,” and when I just needed some donuts! What a huge blessing it has been to be a part of their lives and to have them a part of mine!

The day of the wedding arrived and I hiked to Binkley Chapel to meet Steph Joyner to get my hair and make-up done! I LOVE Stephanie and she always does an awesome job! Before long, the room was filled with photographers, mothers, bridesmaides, and the bride all getting hair and make-up done! We started getting ready at 8:00 am and finished around 1:30!! It always takes SO much longer than you think to get everyone ready to go! The bridesmaid’s dresses turned out to be really beautiful. They were white halter tops with light yellow floor length skirts and a yellow sash around the waste. Very clean looking and exactly what I pictured for Amanda's wedding. The yellow dress she was wearing the first day I met her 9 years later became the yellow bridesmaid dress I was wearing! We went outside for some great pictures with Casey and Kristin while Wes and Angie took the guys pictures out back.

When the time to walk down the aisle finally arrived, I felt very "emotionally stable" and excited! We had one last prayer time with Amanda and one last big hug! Still feeling good, I lined up to walk down the aisle. After Allison and Patrick walked down, Mrs. Bush signaled for me and Heath to step forward. As soon as I took my first step, the tears came! They continued to flow all the way down the aisle! When I saw Derek, his eyes teared up with the half-cry half-laugh emotion that has haunted me for weeks! I made it to my spot and gained a little bit of composure...until the doors of Binkley opened and Amanda walked down the aisle. She was absolutely gorgeous and Derek's face was priceless! I know they had been waiting for that moment for a long time.

The ceremony was beautiful and I managed to dry up my tears/big smile combination leaving just the big smile! The reception was an absolute dream! It was held at a beautiful old house that has been excellently redone for wedding receptions and events. Gorgeous garden, great band, cobblestone dance floor, beautiful tent, amazing food....it was perfect! I know Amanda was living her dream!

Now they are off having a wonderful time in Jamaica. I'm sure their happiness knows no bounds! They have waited patiently for this for a long time and the Lord has blessed them both richly. I can't wait to see how the Lord uses them as man and wife!

No comments: