Monday, July 28, 2008

The Mirror or the Battlefield?

"There is a trial in stillness; and oftentimes the still chamber makes a larger demand upon loving trust than the battlefield." - Philip Bennett Power

I had a wonderful conversation with one of my friends yesterday. She was telling me how hard this summer has been being back at home and not as busy as usual As a result, she is forced to deal with "herself" and is unable to ignore the reigning sin behind the thick curtain of activity. While I am not any less active than I am during the semester, the Lord has placed me in a unique situation where I am forced to reflect much more on my own heart. I feel her pain exactly! I would so much rather be in the thick of spiritual warfare and stand strong in my faith than have 1 hour taking an honest look into my own heart.

The hope that I cling to is the glory of the cross. When I do take a glimpse at my own heart, my horror is always followed by a deeper overwhelment of God's grace.

No comments: