Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Wonders of the Gospel

Once upon a time, there was a little girl who had a kind and loving Father. The little girl delighted in her Father and the Father delighted in His little girl. The girl loved her Father so much and desperately wanted to please Him in everything she did. One day, the Father presented the little girl a gift. This gift was the most precious, beautiful and desired treasure the little girl could ever want. When He placed it in her hands, all she could do was tremble. She was too afraid look upon its beauty for fear it would vanish from her fingertips. The feeling of unworthiness came over her as she refused to allow herself to desire such a wonderful present. Rather than taking the gift, holding it close, and looking up at her father with eyes full of thankfulness and admiration, she cast her eyes away and refused to take the gift. “Surely by accepting something so wonderful, I would not please my father,” she thought. “He alone must be my treasure. If I accept this, I will not be focused on serving him!” She was overcome with fear: fear that she would love the gift and not the Giver of the gift. She wanted the gift more than anything in the world but the fact that it gave her so much pleasure frightened her.

Her loving father looked down at her and said, “My child, don’t you know that I delight in giving good gifts to my children? Don’t you know that I choose to be honored through the gifts and pleasures I bestow on those who love me? Serving me is not an action that must be continually on your mind; it is a reaction that flows from a heart that has been filled by my love and grace. You received my grace when you became my child. This gift, as wonderful as it is, is far less than that gift. If you can accept that good gift, can’t you accept this one?”

Such is the wonder of the Gospel.

Such is the wonder of life as a Child of God.

No comments: