Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Conference! Days 1 & 2

Wow! It is so hard to believe I am at conference right now! Time really flew by! (I understand I just ended that sentence with a preposition...and as much as it pains me it is what I needed to adequately express myself, Talyor...)

When I was driving up, it was pouring down rain. I really just knew I would get hit by a car driving there and that would be the end of it. On top of that, this past month has been one difficulty after another...culmitating with a snow balling effect of challenges this past week. Some big, some small. (like my computer cracking and loosing my cell phone!) On top of that, I have had to research and write a 20 page paper on Comparative Religious Ethics and finish position papers on alcohol consumption, HIV/AIDS, torture in an age of terrorism, and global warming for my ethics class before leaving. (I'm still working on AIDS now and actually stole some info from the South Africa presentation today! Yes!!:) All that to say, when I got here, I felt like I was the walking dead.

Upon arriving at the commune, I met several really sweet girls that I have been "pal-ing" around with. (another sentence with a preposition...) We have instantly clicked and I know we will really enjoy having each other when we have to live here for 2 months!

We had a bunch of orientation stuff last night and they unleashed people on the job books. I have been amazed at how many people come here 1) without knowing if they FOR SURE want to go overseas, and 2) have NO IDEA where they would want to go! Having to make that decision in less than 4 days would be so hard for me! I would be so overwhelmed - as most of them are! Having my name on a job already has freed me to serve them while they are looking for theirs. I love "figuring out" people, so sititng down with a pen and paper and assessing their strengths/weaknesses, where they feel lead, etc is really fun for me! So, I have just tried to help them talk through everything as they narrow down the possible jobs.

I knew I needed to be "open" to the possibility that God could have another job for me in mind. I did look through the job lists and listened to all the regional presentations. I will not lie, the NAME (North America and Middle East) region really does appeal to me and I did look at a job there. It was a good job and I probably would have enjoyed it...but it wasn't the perfect fit for me right now at least.

I then got to talk to my supervisor, Jason, on the phone. Talking to him really reminded me how perfect this job is for me and God clearly I see God's hand in it. I really feel so blessed!

Another blessing I now more clearly understand is God's had in having me visit my friends in Egypt, Indonesia, and Thailand. I got a very clear understanding of what "life" is like doing this type of work. I saw their joys and sorrows. While I was seeing the reality, I also knew God was leading me to that life. It was a very emotional time when God gave me a clear picture of what he was asking me to do. Coming here, I see people who have been on a few school trips here and there but know they have no idea of the type of rude awakening ahead of them. I don't by ANY MEANS know everything or have it all together, but I am thankful that I am "scared" enough to have an idea of what to expect. God has blessed me by showing me even on a small scale what he is asking of me.

Gotta go to a small group meeting. Thank you all for praying for me! Tomorrow is going to be the hardest day because I have all the big interviews then. Please pray for peace and clarity of thought.

No comments: