Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Humility and Joy

This is a quote from Dr. Liederbach that he uses to keep him in perspective:

You are more sinful than you ever dared believe, but you are more loved than you ever dared to hope.

Don't we always think the opposite? I frequently think less of my sin or at least avoid understanding the true depths both consciously and unconsciously. However, while I so frequently manage to ignore the depths of my sin, I also fail to fathom the depths of the love of my Savior! At least in my own life, it is only through facing the horrors of my sin that I am able to relish in the love that saved me. This is yet another area I am a Pharisee and blasphemer who denies the power of God's grace in my life!

Which is better: making less of my sin but not relishing in the love of a savior or truly understanding it and being blown away by His grace?

2 comments:

Megan Penner said...

This is so good, Amber -- balancing our depravity as sinners with our dignity as a child of God. Praise Him! I want to write this quote on the back on my hand!

Alan Knox said...

Amber,

This is an excellent post! Also, I would add, the more we are "blown away" by God's grace, the more we should extend that grace to others.

-Alan