Monday, September 28, 2009

Six Months Already?


Yes, you read right. I have been in Italy for 6 months as of yesterday. So hard to believe. I took a stroll down memory lane while laying on a blanket at Parco Treno listening to my italian friends chatting. Here are some things I remember:

1. I remember saying goodbye to all my friends and family in when what seemed like "all of a sudden" Italy was upon me. I remember a really sad last hug from the Elledges in the D.C. airport when we realized that we were not on the same flight to Frankfurt and I had to board in 5 minutes. I remember sobbing all the way across the pond with my mind spinning, though, at the same time, being so thrilled to go to the place where my heart was already firmly planted.

2. I remember the big "welcome committee" at the airport with a sign that said, "Benvenuta, Amber!" that my ragazzo, Jake, made for me.

3. I remember dragging all 4 of my 50 lb. bags up my 85 stairs with Jason. Very well.

4. I remember my first day I took the tram from my house to the Greenwiches house and didn't get lost! (which is great since their stop is the last one and it is impossible to get lost...)

5. I remember my first aperitivo night. I also remember my second when I tried to speak some Italian and I thanked an Italian guy for exchanging tongues with me.

6. I remember the first time I went into the bakery beneath my house and all I could say was, "pane," "si," and "grazie." I also remember when I was actually able to "talk" to them for the first time and the lady shouted to the workers in the back, "She can talk now!!!"

7. I remember my first day of language school....and also when I forgot to take my name tag off that said "Amber, USA" and unknowingly ported it throughout the city. I remember the first time I felt like I was able to have a real and meaningful "conversation" with someone.

8. I remember my first road trip through Switzerland and Germany and the way my jaw was on the floor of the car the entire time we were driving through the alps.

9. I remember when I learned that you have 5 seconds to drain the pasta before tossing it in the sauce.

10. I remember lots of Carrefour and Ikea runs with Allyson.

11. I remember a pretty awesome Cinque Terre trip.

12. I remember meeting a great, new friend randomly in Parco Sempione.

13. I remember riding my bike in the city for the first time. Whew. I also remember when I got the hang of it and learned to "claim my rights" as a bike rider.

14. I remember when I no longer felt overwhelmed in Esselunga and was actually able to read labels instead of "praying and placing in the basket." Who knows what I have eaten...

15. I remember the first time I prayed in Italian.

16. I remember many embarrassing language mistakes. Many.

17. I remember shooting my first photo essay with Mario.

18. I remember having over 20 mosquito bites just on my arms in June before I decided to shave a couple years off the end of my life by intoxicating my house with Vape.

19. I CAN'T remember how many gelatos and caffes I have consumed.

15. I remember when I realized Milan felt like "home." And it still does.

I know it's "just" six months...but the difference between 5 and 6 months to me is the difference between "a few months" and actually feeling like I LIVE here. Living here has been one of the hardest things I have ever done, but I can hands-down say has been one of the biggest blessings --if not THE biggest blessing -- of my life. I have seen God's grace in so many new ways as a sovereign protector and provider, as well as an intimate companion and guide. I am most undeservedly blessed. The verse he laid on my heart the night before I left, Psalm 73:23-24, has yet to have a day in which it was not recited...and also not seen to be absolutely true.

And the cool thing is:

IT'S NOT OVER YET!!!


3 comments:

Amy Jones said...

Wow. You are so advanced. I'm not going to lie. I'm a little jealous.

Megan Penner said...

This was an amazing post. I am blessed by the MULTITUDES of blessings God has given you! I am blessed by how you have completely relied on God through these past 6 months. I am blessed by YOU! I love you!

Derek and Amanda said...

It makes my heart glad and laugh when I read this!! Love you sweet friend!! :)