Thursday, June 26, 2008

How do you define a good movie??

"Amber, you already ruined Anne of Green Gables for me. Don't ruin this movie as well!" These frustrated words were spoken to me by my roommate, Amanda. One of the most valuable tools the History of Ideas program has given me happends to also be a curse! It is known as the unability to read or watch anything without critiquing or analyzing it in light of the Christian worldview. This is very fun for me but very annoying for many of my friends!


I love movies that make me think. I love movies that critique culture. I love movies that have a purpose or a message whether it is right or wrong. I love movies that allow me to discuss ideas with both believers and unbelievers. I'll admit: quite often it is very nice to insert styrophome into my DVD player and allow my brain cells to veg with Meg Ryan or some other mindless chick-flick. However, the movies I find myself wanting to see again or recommend to others are ones that challenge me.

I recently saw the movie "Rendition" with Reece Witherspoon, Meryl Streep, and Jake Gyllenhaal. The movie is about the ethics of torture and the way the American government responds to this controversy. I was doubtful the movie would accomplish anything more than making me sick to my stomach but, in the end, I was very surprised by the way they tastefully got their message across.


During the Clinton reign, the American government allowed for suspected terrorists to be taken to an undisclosed prison in another country for the purpose of being tortured. Because “America doesn’t torture,” the government slipped through their little loophole by simply “watching” suspects being tortured by the foreign prison officials. Apparently, this scheme revealed the plot to bomb a train station in London several years ago and subsequently saved thousands of lives.


What an ethical dilemma this creates! It is so tempting to think, “Well, they would do it to us!” or, “It will save thousands of lives!” My biggest concern with this line of reasoning is that it adopts the utilitarian axiom that it is better to sacrifice the one for the many. With this mindset, we would also have to affirm that it is morally permissible to conduct stem cell research on a few to save the masses. Furthermore, scripture, unlike the Qu’ran, makes no provision for torture of any kind. It certainly does support capital punishment for crimes that have been committed and deserve death. Scripture is also clear that our treatment of enemies should be no less guided by the principle of “neighbor love.” (The Good Samaritan parable)


From an ideological standpoint, it is important that the means used to protect human life must not encourage contempt of human life at the same time. While there is a place for “just war” and capital punishment, the main goal of supporting human life as creatures formulated in the Image of God must be kept in perspective. Of course, prisons should not be Day Spas and interrogators shouldn’t sound like Oprah. After all, protection of innocent life is a major factor in “neighbor love.” However, a proper perspective is in order before such activities are adopted.


Whether or not you agree or disagree with the movie’s anti-torture message, I’m sure America’s loophole to keep her hands clean could not remain undisputed. In the movie, the American Agent does not suggest the suspect should be let off the hook but that he should be fairly tried in the States. He does not release him because he feels sorry for him; he releases him because he is found to be innocent. The movie did not seem pro-Ossama or anti-American. It rightly questioned and raised awareness of important issues. These issues must be viewed by believers in light of the Christian worldview and the standard scripture sets.

No comments: