Sunday, March 29, 2009

Stereotype Confirmed

While I was on the packed subway, there was man and woman beside me who looked around my age. They were clearly "together" based on their overt physical contact. To my surprise, they were speaking broken English with different accents. He was clearly Italian and I gathered she was Polish. I laughed as they asked basic questions like "have you ever been married?" while they were all over each other! The Italian guy said no but the Polish girl said she had been and was now divorced. (she could not have been any older than 25 or 26) The girl then asked him what he thinks about marriage. The suave Italian, who had clearly just managed to catch a tourist says, "You know, I don't think that I have to be married to someone to be in a relationship with them. I hear some people say that and I think that is so shallow. I want to truly love the person I am with, not just stay with them because I am married to them." I don't know how he did it, but this slick talking Italian stallion, in that moment, gained commitment by being completely non-committal. Sheesh. Then, as they are still all over each other and just talked about marriage, she starts asking him how easy it is to get a divorce in Italy. She then explained it was very difficult in Poland because you have to go before 3 judges to show 1) that there is no love, 2) that there is no sex, 3) that there is not financial relationship. She said it was difficult and cost a lot of money. Our slick Italian assured her that it was very easy in Italy and the couple kept right along with their subway passion. Thankfully, I arrived at my stop and walked out trying my hardest to hold back the laughter! I can now say that I not only am well versed in Polish divorce policy, but I have also seen my first example of an Italian stallion in action. Bravo. 

No comments: